What We Provide
Our Horizons Philadelphia sites provide:
- 6 weeks of full day programming for grades K-8 during summer break from public schools.
- Professional teaching staffs with a 7:1 student to teacher learning environment. Each class has up to 15 students with a lead teacher and an assistant teacher.
- Access to one-on-one small group intervention by a trained Reading Specialist.
- A focus on engaging instructional methods, topics, including the use of project based and differentiated learning, as well as a full spectrum of STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math) subjects.
- A minimum of two meals and one snack daily to address students' physical needs and help close the hunger gap that exists for many students who depend on the Free/Reduced Price Lunch program during the school year.
- Daily swim instruction, designed to boost confidence and other character-building skills, provide an outlet for healthy physical activity, and teach life saving skills to scholars who typically don't have access to pools and instruction.
- Multiple off campus field trips throughout the summer to local cultural and recreation facilities as well as on campus experiences to enhance experiential learning.
- Transportation provided to and from field trips, swimming, and special events for all scholars, and transportation to/from our program sites that require it geographically.
- School year programming that varies by site, but may include after school tutoring.